Save your pennies—or rather, your dollars—and splurge an art-centric weekend in Ireland. Two of the country’s finest properties, the five-star Merrion Hotel in Dublin and the ultra-haute Ballyfin, in County Laois, have teamed to offer Inspiring Irish Art Weekends that showcase each property’s museum-quality art collection.
I haven’t stayed at The Merrion, but I have had the pleasure of one hosted night at Ballyfin — trust me, it’s well worth the splurge to experience this masterpiece.
The themed weekends, available Oct. 11-13, 2-13, and Apr. 4-6 and 11-13, 2014, include one night at each property:
• a private tour of The Merrion’s 19th- and 20th-century Irish art collection by expert from the National Gallery of Ireland
• an afternoon “Art Tea” with pastries inspired by The Merrion’s in-house artwork
• dinner for two at The Merrion’s Michelin-starred Patrick Guilbaud Restaurant.
• a private tour of Ballyfin’s 17th-century art collection by Irish art expert William Laffan
• a cocktail reception and five-course dinner for two in the Ballyfin’s State Dining Room.
The package also includes transfers to and from airport and between The Merrion and Ballyfin. The cost for the two-night package is €2,727 (approximately $3,570) for two people sharing a room.